The One With Ross’ Wedding, or in other words London Baby, is a Friends episode that no fanatic will ever forget.
The drama, the unexpected hook ups and even a cameo from royalty (kind of) is what made the episode in London one of the best ever however there are some secrets surrounding it that you will definitely want to know.
Ross, Rachel, Monica, Chandler and Joey crossed the pond and here is a bunch of facts that even the biggest Friends fanatics won’t know about the most memorable episode ever:
1.When Jennifer Aniston left Los Angeles for the London filming, she fell off an escalator in the airport
The Friends cast made an entrance from the second they landed in the UK. Photographs of Jen were plastered all over the newspapers after she fell over in the airport. Matthew Perry later apologised for not helping her but he was also preoccupied with photographers who were desperate to find out who married who.
2. The map scene nearly didn’t happen- Joey and Chandler were originally going to visit a British McDonald’s
The plan was for the pair to argue a whole lot more- however it was eventually condensed down to make room for the scene with Fergie.
3. The scene with Richard Branson, or Tricky Dick, took SO MANY takes because Richard couldn’t remember his lines.
The ‘wheeler dealer’ went straight to filming after an important meeting with the Prime Minister of Israel and didn’t have time to learn his lines. Also there is a red baseball cap displaying the Virgin logo in the background of the scene.
4. Emily nearly didn’t fit into her wedding dress because her boobs grew
During the time of filming Emily was actually pregnant in real life and producers worried that fans would think she was actually pregnant in the film to- which would have added another dimension of crazy to the already complicated situation.
5. Sarah ‘Fergie’ Ferguson, the Duchess of York, was a total wreck during the filming.
Fergie’s daughters, Eugenie and Beatrice were huge fans of Friends making the Duchess of York super nervous. Matt Le Blanc went over her lines with her and Matthew Perry even stayed behind to offer his support.
6. Massive efforts went into keeping the ending a secret
The cast were not allowed to give anything away about the real ending. The studio audience were evacuated before they filmed it, making sure nothing got loose.
7. Ross and Monica’s dad (Elliot Gould) nearly ruined all efforts
When he returned from filming Ross and Emily’s wedding in London, Elliot went on Rosie O’Donnell’s show, not realising how top secret the plot was. He said WAY too much about who Ross ended up marrying and producers were furious with him.
8. But Lisa Kudrow managed to save him by saying that they had filmed three endings, to throw the press of the scent
This wasn’t true but it did provide some damage control. There was still a cliffhanger at the end of the season so fans had to tune into season 5 to see what happened to Ross.
9. There was originally an entire scene where Rachel reupholsters a whole coach in a bid to get over Ross
The script writer, Greg Malins said: “‘It just wasn’t funny. This was at the end of the season and we’re in the writers room at five in the morning… and when you haven’t slept in two days, that seems really funny. Then you go see it and you go, “Boy, we were tired!”. But I think cutting it [the couch scene] is what made the ‘London, baby!’ stuff with Joey evolve – which was hilarious.’
10. There was a rumour that the Queen banned the crew from filming in front of Buckingham Palace because she was unhappy with something Fergie said on Oprah Winfrey’s chat show
This isn’t true though. The Palace allows NO filming of the Queen’s residences unless it’s for the news or for a documentary.
11. Radio stations announced where filming was taking place and the cast were mobbed
Channel 4 erected crush barriers outside their building to hold fans when the cast arrived for a press conference.
12. Ross and Emily’s wedding was originally planned to last
However Helen Baxendale, who plays Emily, did not wish to stay in America while she was pregnant. The writers couldn’t think of a convincing story for why Emily would not be in the show, despite being married to Ross. She was then written out of the next seasons and the rest is history.
13. The crowd reaction when Monica and Chandler emerged from under the bed covers was so crazy, the actors had to hold their position for 27 seconds to get the shot
The filming took so long, the crew had to order 400 pizzas for the audience.
14. Lisa was actually heavily pregnant during filming, meaning doctors actually ordered her not to fly.
That was the REAL reason Phoebe couldn’t join in the fun – producers had to find a way to keep her in London for the episode, so timed her pregnancy with the triplets accordingly. Kudrow ended up giving birth to her son the day the second part of the episode was aired.
15. The writers messed up Joey’s best man speech
During his best man’s speech at the rehearsal dinner, Joey says: “”I first met Ross in this coffee house back home…”, but we learned in The One With The Flashback that Joey met Ross in the BAR
16. The biggest one yet is….THEY FORGOT TO INVITE BEN.
A true Friends geek would have probably noticed this-Ross’ son doesn’t appear at the wedding. He did appear in Carol and Susan’s wedding in The One With The Lesbian Wedding – so we really don’t know what went on here.